POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Widor's toccata : Re: Widor's toccata Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Widor's toccata
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 19 Aug 2008 17:31:38
Message: <48ab3bba$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Oh my God... I just found an illegal copy of the sheet music on teh
> interwebs! Muhuhuhu!! >:-D

Considering he died in 1937 his music should by now be public domain in
much of the world (though I don't know about England specifically).

> I thought my hand was going to span in half by the time I got to the
> second page! Seriously - an inteval of a 10th?! How big do you think my
> friggin' hards are?!! 0_0

Big enough to span a 10th I'd imagine, I don't think that's terribly
uncommon in keyboard.  You should enjoy this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKKlhYF53w

> Also... I mean, Mr Bach's Toccata & Fugue is pretty damned hard,

It all depends on what you measure it's difficulty relative to.  I'd say
that it's actually one of the easier classical organ pieces (though I'm
not very familiar with what the standard organ repertoire would be).

This is not to diminish the effort you spent learning it of course, it's
certainly challenging enough to present a challenge to people without
serious training in the instrument.  (as a note, it's also at about the
limit of my meager piano skills).

> *this* piece of music appears to be actually impossible. As in, there
> are *three* lines of notes, yet homo sapiens only has *two* hands.

I assume you're talking about the toccata from his Symphony No.5 for
organ?  The third staff would be for the foot pedals -- almost all organ
music will have three staves. If your version of Bach's Toccata and
Fugue didn't, it was probably a piano reduction of the original 3-staff
organ score.

That said, there is honest to goodness piano music with three staves,
but it's a bit less common (although still not all that rare).