POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle curiosity : Re: Idle curiosity Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle curiosity
From: Michael Zier
Date: 19 Aug 2008 04:50:45
Message: <48aa8965$1@news.povray.org>
Am Tue, 19 Aug 2008 07:32:37 +0100 schrieb Orchid XP v8:

> Is it actually possible to program a micro controller in such a way that
> it does what you expect it to?
>
> It's an interesting idea, but it looks like the kind of thing where I'd
> spend the rest of my life wondering why it doesn't do what I thought I
> programmed it to do. (I.e., it looks impossible to debug.)

I'd suggest Atmel's AVR series, either ATtiny or ATmega, depending on the
requirements, but I'd think a puny ATtiny13 will suffice. They're around
1.50€ each and impressively well equipped (although only 5 I/O pins can
be used, or 6 if you don't want to use the /RESET pin, which you probably
wont - it's used for in-circuit serial programming).
Atmel provides an IDE with an assembler and a simulator, you can install
a GCC variant for the microcontrollers too.
I've built a simple music-box (out of an cheap MP3-player) with a motor
for my baby-boy, with programmable run-time and motor-speed. All driven
by an ATtiny13 and a C program. It's really enjoyable, so give it a try!