POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle curiosity : Re: Idle curiosity Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle curiosity
From: scott
Date: 19 Aug 2008 02:39:35
Message: <48aa6aa7$1@news.povray.org>
> Is it actually possible to program a micro controller in such a way that
> it does what you expect it to?

Ermmm, yeh, otherwise I'd doubt they'd sell many.

> It's an interesting idea, but it looks like the kind of thing where I'd
> spend the rest of my life wondering why it doesn't do what I thought I
> programmed it to do. (I.e., it looks impossible to debug.)

If you're thinking of making it from logic gates, it would seem like it
would only be a very short program in any language.  Last time I used them
was about 10 years ago and you had to do it in assembly.  But there was a
simulator you could run your code on.  Nowadays I suspect they are far more
sophisticated, I'm sure you can get a USB programmable one fairly cheaply,
just google for "USB microcontroller".