POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle curiosity : Re: Idle curiosity Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle curiosity
From: scott
Date: 19 Aug 2008 02:17:40
Message: <48aa6584@news.povray.org>
> Uh... OK. I never did that before - but hey, maybe that's why half my
> circuits didn't work?

Hehe maybe, you certainly shouldn't assume that a not-connected or floating
input will be treated as logic 0.

> Damnit, I thought digital electronics was just about on or off. :-/

It is if you follow the specifications of the particular logic family you
are using, IIRC TTL is something like 0-0.8V for logic 0, and 2.5V and above
for logic 1.

> You speak of "3-valued logic" with it's "Hi-Z" mode?

I don't know what it's called, but I remember it when we were doing simple
memory circuits at university, you need to be able to output either 0,1 or
floating to the data bus.