POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager : Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Aug 2008 17:00:08
Message: <48a9e2d8$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Somehow I can't think Google as software repository, but I might be too
> technical thinker (oslt) for that.

It's not. It's a link repository. :-)  I think if you actually wanted to
*store* all the software ever written for Windows, you'd be looking at
an even larger expenditure.

> Actually I'm starting to think it could be a good programming practice
> :-). Software developers (possibly others, too, but it could create some
> problems) could enter the version, URL of the package, name of the
> executable and what versions of Windows it works for (ie. via the web).
> The software could sync this list either when told or by a schedule and
> when told, get the package and run the installer.

It's ... pretty trivial to do that sort of code these days. Not really
much practice, unless you've never done that sort of thing before. :-)

> Yes, there's still problem of getting software to the reposity.

If you can standardize the formats coming in, it wouldn't be hard. Just
put the "browse" button in.

Next up: let the owner of the software take it down. Hire lawyers to
defend you against people uploading illegal software. Etc.

>> Actually, it was pretty common in the earlier days. And DirectX always
>> came with the software.
>
> Yes, I remember DX coming with lot of games (I also remember that some
> games insisted to have older DX installed and that created problems). I
> don't remember .NET coming with any other software (OTOH I haven't
> installed a lot of .NET -software, just some).

Print Shop 2.0 did, for one. Lots of them just checked to see if it was
installed, and if not, silently installed it for you off the CD. Kind of
funky, but I can see their point.

> Actually I don't recall seeing one even once. I'm getting more and more
> sure that we are mostly using different software on Windows ;).

It certainly sounds that way.   I don't tend to install a whole lot of
ametuer-ware. Some, but not a lot.  Mostly little utilities more than
packages complex enough to need something like .NET.

>> Fair enough. And sure, having a nice interface to a repository in that
>> sense is a good thing.
>
> Yep, it would be freaking great IMO ;).

Go for it. ;-)

> Umm... I don't get this. There's loads and loads of free software using
> such systems in Linux -world, so I don't straight away believe that the
> amount of free Win-software would be a problem.

So, you think sourceforge.net doesn't have financial difficulties? :-)
And, honestly, I think there's *tons* more (admittedly crappy) software
for Windows than Linux. Pick some random utility - convert OGG to MP3,
for example, or printing barcodes (as two recent examples of mine). How
many versions do you think are distributed for something like this for
compared to for Linux? Google the expression, and see how many of the
top hits you go through before you find a version for Linux. (Or look
for that expression in your Linux repository, and see how many hits you
see, if you don't think google gives you good Linux results.)

There's lots of decent software in Linux. There's *tons* of crappy
software for Windows, and no good way of sorting out which is which.

Now, if you ran a "windows repository" that had only the well-written
utilities, I'd pay to access that. :-)

>> unless it's GPL so you can recompile it yourself to make it play along.
>
> Hmm.. Why would it need to be recompiled?

Well, repackaged. If all you get is "setup.exe" and everything's wrapped
up in that, you're going to have trouble distributing it yourself in a
package manager. Or if you get dozens of files as on a CD, you'll also
have a bit of trouble there. I guess you could do what RPMs do, and wrap
up everything with a script that runs afterwards to put stuff in the
right place and register it in the registry. Kind of a bummer if it's an
old setup.exe that reboots your machine at the end of the setup, before
your package manager can record its successful installation.

I'm sure if you took 500 Windows packages that you can download right
now, you'd find at least 100 you'd need to rework in some way to make
them register their presence in *your* package manager. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)