POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager : Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 18 Aug 2008 16:48:59
Message: <48a9e03b$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>> Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>>> and it fails because it does exactly that?
>>
>> No. It succeeds if it does exactly that. I didn't say "fail" anywhere.
>> If you're referring to the blog post calling it a "fail", well, I
>> think you've missed his point.
>>
>>> could. Maybe he should really be complaining about how these 'long
>>> use, stable libraries' keep having updates. Why won't those
>>> developers just leave it alone!
>
> (I hate RDP not always catching the key-up. :-)
>
> Yes, I suspect the "long use stable libraries" shouldn't be adding
> important features. If you have features in 2.10 that you can't possibly
> get away without using, then I wouldn't call 2.6 the "long use stable
> libraries."  But that's just terminology.

It's not features that the GTK people can't get away without using, it's
features that Mozilla wants to use. This complaint is not that much
different, on the surface, then someone who wants to install a DX 9 game
on a Windows computer with DX8...you mean, I bought the game, but I have
to install something else too? I don't think, and I could be wrong here
cause I don't follow GTK, that GTK has ever released a 'long term
support' version of their library.

Yeah, there is a problem when it says 'requires 2.10 or higher' and
means 'requires 2.10.6 or higher'. That's bad, and probably will cause
lots of confusion. That's the actual problem, not the binary repository
maintainers having to check through the dependency lists.

I'm not surprised that Ubuntu 7.10 has some problems with it. 7.10 was
never a long term support version, and gets less work once the numbers
move on to the next full version, 8.10 or something by now.

All I read in the blog post was "I want to use a older distro that the
package manager maintenance  crew probably aren't supporting anymore,
but I also want every new package delivered to me by my package managers
without having to recompile new versions of old libraries." Yeah, some
OSes, even distros, can do better then that. Gentoo's portage got me
firefox3 with no problems on a machine that only gets updated once a year.