POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager : Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Aug 2008 13:23:14
Message: <48a9b002@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> Um, no. It's because you can bundle all that stuff in with the
>> application, but Linux doesn't.  (Maybe it could, but it doesn't.) It
>> isn't an argument, it's an example. The argument is even simpler: lots
>> of Windows software wouldn't sell if you needed to buy other software
>> before you could install it.  Unless it's (say) some business software
>> that's a plug-in for Outlook, or a plug-in for WMP or something.
>
> This is not symptomatic of a flaw in Linux.

You know, I begin to see what Warp means when he says everyone takes the
worst possible reading of something.

Who said anything about "a flaw in Linux"?  Not I!  I said "A package
manager in Linux."  Unless you think having a package manager is
inherently a flaw.

> I am sure that Linux apps
> could just as easily be distributed as binaries which fully install
> everything needed to run the application.

One would expect so, yes.

> The reason that Windows apps would not succeed this way while Linux apps
> do is because Windows users have come to expect complete support from
> the installer, whereas Linux users are accustomed to doing more of the
> legwork.  Linux is far more of an OS for gurus and hobbyists, while
> Windows is marketed towards people who never want to "lift the hood," so
> to speak, and would be utterly lost if they ever had to.

Yep.  And?

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)