POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle curiosity : Re: Idle curiosity Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:08:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle curiosity
From: scott
Date: 18 Aug 2008 07:06:14
Message: <48a957a6@news.povray.org>
>> The reason it looks complicated is because you are using a
>> current-amplifying device (the BJT) to amplify voltage.
>
> Uh... does it matter?

Well yeh, that's why the resistors are needed.  Generally you want to
amplify voltages, not currents.

> Let's assume that a positive potential represents logic high, and a zero
> potential represents logic low. Take a pair of relays connected up so that
> by default the circuit is closed, and energising the magnet opens the
> circuit. (This is easy to arrange with 3-pin switch type relays.) Connect
> the relays in parallel between the positive rail and the signal output
> terminal. Connect each input to one side of one magnet coil, and connect
> the other sides to the negative rail. Done.

I don't understand what is connected to the negative rail?

Don't forget that the output must be connected to either the negative or
positive rail (and not both!) under all input conditions.  It sounds to me
like in your circuit, the output will just be floating (ie not connected to
anything) when you charge both relays.