POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle curiosity : Re: Idle curiosity Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle curiosity
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Aug 2008 05:09:59
Message: <48a93c67$1@news.povray.org>
>> OK. So you'd wire them both up in essentially the same way?
>
> Essentially, yes, but you need to bear in mind the differences between
> the two when designing your circuit.  The main difference is that a FET
> is controlled by input voltage, and the BJT by input current.  So in
> most designs with BJTs you'll see some resistors dotted around to
> control the current.

See, in theory the way a transistor works is supposed to be simple.
However, every transistor circuit I've ever looked at seems so damned
complicated...

> Good point about FET is that they have almost infinite input impedance,
> which is often useful for low-power operation or when measuring very low
> powered signals.  Good point about BJT is that the output resistance is
> higher, so good for driving higher powered devices rather than pure
> digital signals.

...and this is why I like to stick to logic circuits. You don't have to
worry about obscure concepts like impedance or capacitance. (I mean,
unless you're designing "high performance" circuits anyway.)

>> So why is it that (say) a simple NAND gate involves 8 transistors, 3
>> diodes and 25 resistors? That doesn't make any sense to me...
>> Logically it looks like any possible 2-input gate should require 1 or
>> 2 switches and nothing else.
>
> A NAND gate needs 4 FETS and no resistors:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CMOS_NAND.svg
>
> Inside an IC, resistors are HUGE compared to FETs, there is no way you
> could make a modern CPU if you needed to include resistors for each gate.

Even so, you can make a NAND gate out of just 2 electromechanical
relays. Why does it require twice that number when you use transistors?
(Additionally, I can't make any sense out of that diagram. The wiring
seems to have no reason or rhyme to it.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/