POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager : Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager
From: John VanSickle
Date: 17 Aug 2008 20:45:59
Message: <48a8c647@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Um, no. It's because you can bundle all that stuff in with the
> application, but Linux doesn't.  (Maybe it could, but it doesn't.) It
> isn't an argument, it's an example. The argument is even simpler: lots
> of Windows software wouldn't sell if you needed to buy other software
> before you could install it.  Unless it's (say) some business software
> that's a plug-in for Outlook, or a plug-in for WMP or something.

This is not symptomatic of a flaw in Linux.  I am sure that Linux apps
could just as easily be distributed as binaries which fully install
everything needed to run the application.

The reason that Windows apps would not succeed this way while Linux apps
do is because Windows users have come to expect complete support from
the installer, whereas Linux users are accustomed to doing more of the
legwork.  Linux is far more of an OS for gurus and hobbyists, while
Windows is marketed towards people who never want to "lift the hood," so
to speak, and would be utterly lost if they ever had to.

Regards,
John