POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager : Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Aug 2008 19:38:20
Message: <48a8b66c@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> http://blog.angulosolido.pt/2008/08/firefox-3-gtk-210-horror-show-open.html
>
>   First you write the subject "this is why Windows doesn't need a package
> manager" and then you present your argument: One piece of software which
> requires a certain version of KDE or newer.

Um, no. It's because you can bundle all that stuff in with the
application, but Linux doesn't.  (Maybe it could, but it doesn't.) It
isn't an argument, it's an example. The argument is even simpler: lots
of Windows software wouldn't sell if you needed to buy other software
before you could install it.  Unless it's (say) some business software
that's a plug-in for Outlook, or a plug-in for WMP or something.

>   For a time I seriously thought you finally were above such lowly trolling,
> but seemingly I was wrong.

It wasn't really trolling[1].  It was a continuation of a previous
conversation, where someone was saying that Windows was poor because it
didn't have a package manager. I was pointing out that pretty much every
Windows program is a stand-alone install, so it doesn't need a package
manager. When it's not stand-alone and needs DirectX or .NET or
something, that comes with the install. If your OS needs to upgrade 25
packages to make Firefox work, then you better have a package manager,
yes.   If your distributions tend to be stand-alone, then you don't. I,
personally, would rather not need a package manager than to have one.

[1] I figured it would get a knee-jerk reaction, but it wasn't really
intended as trolling. It was intended to perhaps start a conversation or
clarify an earlier one, since when I made assertions earlier I didn't
have an example.

>> And this is the sort of thing that RPMs don't do for you that the
>> Singularity thing does (and more):
>
>> http://www.linux.com/feature/144170
>
>   Uh? Maybe you mispasted a link or something? I really can't see the
> connection.

I'm giving an example of an add-on service for Linux package management
that checks the same sorts of things that the Singularity "package
service" checks. Just a bit of a continuation of why I earlier said that
"RPM doesn't do what Singularity does". It's checking the same sorts of
things that Singularity checks in addition to the right versions of
stuff being listed as being installed.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)