POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Strange GPU : Strange GPU Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:09:18 EDT (-0400)
  Strange GPU
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Aug 2008 15:00:54
Message: <48a723e6$1@news.povray.org>
During the course of playing FarCry, I noticed several times that random
polygon edges ended up in the wrong place sometimes. (By "noticed" I
mean "now and then I couldn't see half of the room because one of the
wall polygons was stretched across the entire width of it".)

I had assumed this was a software glitch - FarCry is rather old now
after all. I had assumed something in the game's coding was interacting
badly with my video card.

However, I've just been playing TF2, and the exact same thing happened.
This has *never* happened before in TF2 with this video card. So now I'm
thinking there is actually something wrong somehow.

I see three possibilities:

1. The GPU is overheating.

2. There's a bug in the version of the video driver I have installed.

3. Valve have made an update to TF2 which introduces some kind of
rendering bug.

Apparently the nVidia control panel no longer tells you your GPU
temperature; you have to download and install an additional tool.
Anyway, having just stopped using the GPU, the temperature was reading

To me, that sounds rather damned hot. Is it usual for a GPU to get this
warm?

OTOH, the fact that it isn't cooling down especially fast seems to
indicate that this isn't an issue. (The nVidia tool allows you to set a

At this point, I'm not sure if my GPU is failing, or whether I just need
to update my drivers...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/