POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle curiosity : Re: Idle curiosity Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle curiosity
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Aug 2008 14:06:00
Message: <48a71708@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> OK. So you'd wire them both up in essentially the same way?

You're getting a bit past my expertise, but yes, physically there's
three connections with the same functions on each. Electrically, of
course, there's different voltages, switching times, etc.  It's like
asking if you drive a camper essentially the same way as you drive a VW bug.

Note that you also wire up vacuum tube triods in "essentially the same
way", so I'm not sure how helpful that answer is. ;-)

> Is there any major overall difference in operating characteristics?

Well, yes. I thought I'd been clear on that. They take different
voltages and handle different currents and so on.

> So why is it that (say) a simple NAND gate involves 8 transistors, 3
> diodes and 25 resistors? That doesn't make any sense to me... Logically
> it looks like any possible 2-input gate should require 1 or 2 switches
> and nothing else.

To make a switch, you have to either switch to + or to -, so that's at
least two switches right there. I.e., you need two transistors, one to
amplify the + voltage, and one to amplify the - voltage, using CMOS FET,
just to make a NOT gate.  Depending how you do it, it may take diodes
and resistors and such.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)