POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who was looking for message-passing OS examples? : Re: Singularity Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Singularity
From: Warp
Date: 15 Aug 2008 17:40:59
Message: <48a5f7eb@news.povray.org>
> The Linux boot partition today is
> multiple times the size of the biggest hard drives you could put on
> "desktop" computers 20 years ago, and orders of magnitude bigger than
> the disk space available on a mainframe 40 years ago.

  There's no such a thing as "*the* linux boot partition" with regard to
size. You can create a bootable linux partition (with the latest kernel
and many utility programs) which fits on a floppy disk, so that you can
boot with it.

> >   This was rather common especially at universities and other similar
> > academies: You were lucky if you had access to an actual desktop computer.

> Given the power of desktop computers 20 years ago, I'd disagree with the
> "lucky" part of that. ;-)

  I believe you are old and academic enough to have used VT terminals.
I'm not sure which one I would prefer, an old desktop computer or a
dumb VT terminal... :P

  (Yes, I am old enough that I got to the University here early enough
that VT-220 terminals were still in common use. I read my email, the news,
made programming assignments and even played batmud with those terminals.
The Internet was still a new thing that practically nobody had. Ah, the
memories.)

--
                                                          - Warp