POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : povray vs. blender: blender doesn't do booleans w/ heightfields well. : Re: povray vs. blender: blender doesn't do booleans w/ heightfields well. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs. blender: blender doesn't do booleans w/ heightfields well.
From: stbenge
Date: 15 Aug 2008 14:41:23
Message: <48a5cdd3@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:
> I've been experimenting with blender.  I spent a couple weeks of hobby time
> trying to do Boolean operations on heightfields in blender.  (Except in
> blender, the terminology is meshes to which a  Displacement Modifier has been
> applied.)  I tried to use a box to cut a heightfield and just ran into lots of
> failure, locked up screens, and things poofed out in ways that didn't make
> sense.
>
> Funny thing is I had been about to suggest to some folks that they use blender
> in a professional setting to do this.  But I tried the same operation in
> povray, and it worked the first time (ten minutes of coding from a pre-existing
> heightfield SDL I'd written earlier).
>
> Fascinating.

When you tried the boolean operation in Blender, did the deformed mesh
still have the deform modifier attached to it? Did it have multires
enabled? What about subdivision surfaces? It's best to apply all those
first, and then decimate the mesh before trying anything fancy.

Blender is a different beast, and must draw to the 3D preview window as
well as be able to render the final image. You can use bounding box mode
for the preview, or wire frame mode. These are just ideas. I still
manage to crash Blender every day I play with it :/

Sam