POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I growing a tinfoil hat? : Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat? Server Time
8 Sep 2024 09:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Aug 2008 14:06:25
Message: <48a5c5a1$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:01:19 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:

> And lo on Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:29:08 +0100, Jim Henderson
> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:
>> Yeah, I've seen that as well - end up having to adjust the recording
>> times to start 1 min early and end 1 min late.  Which means if I've got
>> three programmes set to record in a 2 hour period (one ending and two
>> starting, for example - we've a dual tuner DVR), something's going to
>> get clipped.
>
> Should have been solved by now. We had PDC back in the VCR days, the
> broadcaster would send a signal at the end/start of a broadcast and the
> recorder would be looking for this signal at about the time it should be
> starting. Failed miserably as some broadcasters didn't use it and some
> misused it (you'd get the 60-second news blip instead of the programme).
> With EPG's it should all be a done deal, but for the last few weeks it's
> been showing Newsnight when Never Mind the Buzzcocks has been broadcast
> unless I reset the EPG and one programme I'm regularly recording starts
> 15 minutes before its scheduled.

I wish they'd do that - and a better job of everyone synchronizing their
clocks, too.  Shows that say they start at, say, 9:00 on some channels
start as much as 5 minutes later....My DVR used to have a bug (since
fixed, but it was there for a LONG time) where if you adjusted the start/
end times, it would occasionally lock up between 2 and 4 AM.  Actual
documented bug in the software.  Took almost 2 years for them to fix it.

>>> Pfft everyone knows it's marketing that sells products, not having the
>>> best or even just a good product.
>>
>> Oh, right, I forgot - because they wouldn't do that if it wasn't
>> effective.  Stupid me - it's too bad I'm not willing to be a sheep....
>
> Life is so much easier when you are :-P

So I've heard, but I'm just not willing. ;-)

Jim