POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who was looking for message-passing OS examples? : Re: Singularity Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Singularity
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Aug 2008 13:45:55
Message: <48a5c0d3$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> I've always said that Microsoft is outstanding at producing software
> that's "just good enough" - ie, it is buggy, but it's good *enough* that
> people aren't flocking away.

And I've always said that M$'s greatest achievement is in *redefining*
what people will consider to be "good enough".

Not so many years ago, software that wasn't 100% crash-free was
unacceptable. Today this is considered "normal". And it's all due to M$.

> That doesn't mean that they wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't go through a
> process of striving for continuous improvement in their development
> processes.  And clearly that's something they do (I've known people who
> have worked in MS Engineering, so this isn't conjecture on my part - it's
> based on conversations with former colleagues who worked at MS in that
> capacity).

Really? It's actually to their best advantage economically to make their
software as inefficient as possible. (Although making it work
*correctly* would be beneficial to them, making it work *efficiently*
would cause them to lose money.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/