POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : web-view newsgroups problem : Re: web-view newsgroups problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:10:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: web-view newsgroups problem
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 14 Aug 2008 18:58:58
Message: <48a4b8b1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> "The problem with Thunderbird is that is seriously re-downloads the whole
> message when replying rather than using the local cached copy. It does the
> same for IMAP email servers (a known bug), but it does seem like the bug
> has not yet been reported for (NNTP) newsgroup servers yet. So you might
> want to do that..."
>
> Thorsten, I already reported about that problem a long time ago. It's the
> same problem that cause a message to be re-downloaded when saving the
> attachment(s).
>
> The answer I got was that Thunderbird had no way to know it the attachment
> was in cache or not, and assumed that it was not there. A sane aproach
> would be to first check the cache and only request it if not found
> localy...

I had Thunderbird *always* re-download messages. With or without
attachments.

Looks like there are two options:
- keep a cache that expires whenever you switch to another folder/newsgroup
or close Thunderbird.
- download EVERYTHING the newsgroup has, and keep it locally (mark the
newsgroup "available offline").

There is no way to configure Thunderbird to behave like a web browser: when
you download something, keep it cached forever unless the cache is getting
too big; but don't download stuff you don't look at.

Sad that the best newsreader I have ever used was Outlook Express...