POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who was looking for message-passing OS examples? : Singularity Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Singularity
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Aug 2008 09:57:31
Message: <48a2e84b$1@news.povray.org>
Does anybody *else* find it ironic that Micro$oft - the corporation
internationally renowned for its poor quality, buggy products - is
interested in methods of producing high-quality software?

Surely bug-free software isn't very profitable? :-P

Regardless, Singularity has a number of interesting ideas.

- Let the compiler enforce program isolation, not the processor
hardware. (That works great if everybody uses your compiler, but I'm not
sure what happens if you allow arbitrary 3rd party code to execute...)

- Make IPC fast and use it liberally. Use IPC for plugins instead of
dynamic loading. Use statically-checked IPC protocols.

- Put almost everything outside the kernel and make all the security
decisions there.

- Assign security rights to applications as well as users. (I have often
wondered why no OS does this already...)

Some interesting ideas there...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/