POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My new hobby: wasting the time of telemarketers who ignore the national do not call registry AND spoof their phone numbe : Re: My new hobby: wasting the time of telemarketers who ignore the nationaldo not call registry AND spoof their phone nu Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:11 EDT (-0400)
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 12 Aug 2008 10:02:27
Message: <48a197f3@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
> The call, (and follow-up junk mail), that I've been getting is
> a warning that my vehicle warranty is going to expire. Of
> course I don't actually have a vehicle warranty in the first
> place. I hope that too many people don't fall for this, it'd
> be a rip-off for sure, they'd never fix a car, they probably
> want your credit card number.
>
> I like to hit the # key repeatedly when an automated call
> comes in: in some cases it fools the equipment,
> or at least someone gets an earful of beeps.

I've gotten my share of those, too ... I'm pretty fed up with
"companies" spoofing caller ID to get around being fined for violating
the Do Not Call list.

There's a reason people are on that list. Do they really think they're
going to make someone who does not want to be bothered by direct
marketing any more likely to listen to their pitch? Especially given
that they're already proving themselves to be less than honest by faking
their caller-id data.

I reported the warranty one to the FTC for fraud, as well as the credit
card one. Doubt it will do any good. Telco says it looks like the call
originated in the UK.. probably more nasty tricks with the phone system
to keep themselves from being tracked down.