POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Metric redux : Re: Metric redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metric redux
From: andrel
Date: 15 Oct 2008 16:45:14
Message: <48F656AB.9000100@hotmail.com>
On 15-Oct-08 7:50, Stephen wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 23:13:05 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>>> Whether you think it's logical or not is your call.
>> indeed, and I think it is totally nonsense. It may be true for some
>> class of carpenters. Mainly for those with no relevant education and no
>> skills in carpentry. Either the lowest ranking on the job or the
>> manager.
>
> That sounds a bit like snobbery to me.

Why? I have seen quite a few skillful carpenters and constructors (or
whatever their job description is in English) in mechanical workshops
and I have simply never seen any indication that any size was more
special to them than others. So I think it is logical to assume that
anyone who thinks 40 is more basic than 33 is forcing himself to think
in numbers in stead of in materials.
Which is of course also a generalization from my own experience. I am an
extremely bad carpenter and that is one of the major reasons. Which
raises another interesting question: can you be snobbish towards yourself?