POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Anonymity in our newsgroups - Was: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Anonymity in our newsgroups - Was: White hat? Black Hat?
From: andrel
Date: 15 Sep 2008 15:09:01
Message: <48CEB314.9020303@hotmail.com>
On 15-Sep-08 4:14, somebody wrote:

>> BTW I consider this discussion closed as far as I am concerned. I feel
>> very uncomfortable talking to a 'somebody' with an e-mail address of
>> 'x### [at] ycom'.
>
> That's an ad hominem.

- no, that was the point it is an ad inhominem
- it is also not one because I tell you what I feel, without even
suggesting that what you did would make your points less valuable.
- over the years there were a few cases of people here in the newsgroups
that, like you, tried to discredit other people by accusing them of
rhetoric tricks. It is my impression that that said more about
themselves than of the addressed person. Just an observation.

> Somebody (else) might claim he doesn't feel
> comfortable with people with hotmail accounts.

Not the best attempt to return a compliment that I have seen. FYI I use
a hotmail account in newsgroups for obvious reasons. I am not hiding
behind a fictitious address. I will answer e-mails sent to that address
and it reflects even my name IRL.

> Nonetheless, be it so.

It is your choice. I think of this group as a group of (mostly) friends.
Your choice sort of spoils that idea for me. Many people here use
aliases and many use e-mail addresses that are either invalid or
mangled. Yet, because they have a recognizable identity I can think of
them as a human being. To me you're more a ghost than a human being. So
again, it is absolutely your own choice on whether you want to be part
of this group or not, but I (and perhaps others) might not respond to
anything you say. (Obviously, I make an exception for this metadicussion.)