POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: andrel
Date: 12 Sep 2008 04:44:54
Message: <48CA2C4D.1000408@hotmail.com>
On 12-Sep-08 10:16, Invisible wrote:
>>> Haskell is a small, simple, logical language. C++ is a huge, messy,
>>> complex language. I don't see how learning an easy language should
>>> enable me to learn a hard language.
>>
>> Heh, Haskell looks complicated and hard to learn to me.
>
> Well, I guess there are probably people who look at something like
>
>   x = (-b +- Sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)/2a

unbalanced parentheses in line 10

> and go "OH MY GOD! That looks SO complicated!" But actually, if you know
> a little algebra, you discover that this contraption is actually quite
> straight forward.

Although very well known and easy I managed to have a proposition in my
thesis on this formula. Which, I admit, no one could understand unless
they knew what was not in my thesis (we are talking about an audience of
approximately just below one). ;)

>> I just think that if you have the brain to understand all of the
>> constructs Haskell provides and why they're cool or interesting, you
>> have the capability to do the same with any other language, especially
>> a commonly used one.
>
> Yes - because "commonly used" = "it's very easy". Oh, wait... :-P

Some people study physics because they have not such a good memory, but
can remember if it makes sense. OTOH some people study medicine because
they can remember things but you don't have to understand (most of) it.
More people are studying medicine than physics, but that does not imply
that I could.

>>> I already *know* Java. ;-)
>>
>> Oh; aren't there Java programming jobs around?
>
> My problem is that I'm not finding *any* programming jobs, for *any*
> language. (Or rather, I can find a few jobs with titles like "senior
> systems architect" and "lead developer", but I'm not finding anything
> like "trainee programmer" or "graduate Java developer".)

I did not contribute to this thread, because I had the feeling this
subject was beaten to death already. I case you forgot, I still think
that you should have stayed in research.

>>> What makes you think I haven't?
>>
>> The fact that you haven't learned C++ yet. =)
>
> FWIW, I also failed to learn Latin. And that's *supposed* to be easy!

who told you that? Or is that because it can't be hard if they did it
already two thousand years ago?