POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu] Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
From: Chambers
Date: 8 Aug 2008 03:28:38
Message: <489bf5a6$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> After all, two thousand years ago, the earth was flat because nobody
> could comprehend the idea that it wasn't.  Well, I say nobody - there
> were some who did, and they were branded as heretics and in many cases
> they were killed for it.  Turns out they were right.

Two thousand years ago, the Greeks knew the earth was round, and they
even knew the radius.

Even 500 years ago, people knew the Earth was round.  They didn't laugh
at Columbus because he thought he could sail west to get to India; they
laughed at him because he thought the world was smaller than it was.
Turns out, they were right.  If he hadn't landed in the Americas, he and
his crew would have died in the middle of the ocean.

...Chambers