POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu] Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
From: Chambers
Date: 8 Aug 2008 03:19:00
Message: <489bf364$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> I meant you can't just give a machine a BW picture of a tree and have it
>>> automatically know to turn it green. That's impossible.
>>
>> I don't know that to be the case.  Again, a case of one's ability to
>> fathom how something like that is done doesn't translate to "there's
>> no way it could possibly be done".
>
> It's a basic premise of signal processing that you cannot recover data
> that isn't there any more. Shannon's theorum and all that.

You have to understand, data on analog film isn't really lost, it's
merely distorted.  If you can correct for the distortion, you can get
the original back.

Analog media isn't like digital; it's not changed instantly and
irrevocably.  Rather, entire regions are distorted in predictable ways.

...Chambers