POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who was looking for message-passing OS examples? : Re: Who was looking for message-passing OS examples? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who was looking for message-passing OS examples?
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Aug 2008 16:58:47
Message: <489b6207$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Oh, and it also illustrates what I was saying about not needing
> destructors on your GC'ed resources if your OS actually implements
> things correctly.

It also shows a way of doing basically C++-like allocation management
while nevertheless proving you're not leaking. That is, with minimal
additional declarations (like, this procedure consumes its argument,
like "dispose" does), you can prove at compile time that you aren't
leaking memory and not using memory you already deallocated.

And they do experiments to show that the software checks for array
bounds are actually significantly (33%) faster than the hardware checks
you have to do anyway if you don't check it in software.

Overall, a very cool system with lots of cool results.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Ever notice how people in a zombie movie never already know how to