POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 15:16:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Aug 2008 14:02:08
Message: <489b38a0@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 18:34:57 +0100, St. wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 18:03:25 +0100, St. wrote:
>>
>>>      What? Even Wings3D? As far as I know, it's 'the' most easily used
>>> modeller out there. And very powerful.
>>
>> Well, even Wings3D has a slight learning curve.  Blender is easy to
>> operate as well, once you have learned the interface - but for some,
>> that takes years to master.
>>
>> Today's society is full of people who don't want to take the time to
>> *learn*, they just expect to be able to understand everything
>> instantly, and get frustrated when they don't "get it" within the first
>> 30 seconds of using a new tool.
>
>      Ha, yeah, I didn't think of it like that, but I do know what you
>      mean.

:-)  My stepson is like that - or used to be, at least.  He's gotten
older now and has matured in this regard (and others).  Always expected
to be able to do anything instantly; he tried to learn to play the flute
and got frustrated within a week because he was "no good at it".  Even
knowing someone who has practiced for *years* (friend of my wife's who
went to New York to play professionally).

> I think it was Gilles that first posted here about Wings a couple of
> years ago, (three?) and up until that point, I was using sPatch and
> Hamapatch, (which are good, nothing wrong with them imo), but then
> things became easier when following the tuts he posted. I love Blender,
> I've played around with it a lot, (and I know it's so much more powerful
> than Wings), but yes, it's the interface that does it for me. I want to
> get on with the job, and Blender restricts that just for trying to find
> something. Ah, I dunno, maybe I'll give it a *serious* try someday...
> :)

Yeah, I like Wings3D myself, usually the first tool I pick up if I want
to model something just for fun.

Jim