POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I growing a tinfoil hat? : Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Aug 2008 12:44:32
Message: <489b2670$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 23:35:15 +0100, St. wrote:

>>> Not via e-mail.... ;-)
>>>
>>> But of course, you're using a different meaning for "cheque" than I am
>>> -
>>
>> ...or maybe not, now that I reread it.
>
>      Ah, no probs mate, it was the 'mailbox' word that made me think
>      that.

Darned technology, anyways. ;-)

>> But yeah, the credit card companies have started sending this out as a
>> way to allow you to draw on your credit line; usually they have some
>> sort of special promotional interest rate associated with them.
>
>      Oh, I get those almost five days a week from differing banks than
>      my
> own. I can have £10,000 credit if I want, (instantly), but since my
> early days living on the street and such, I've learnt the value of money
> I think, (but I've got some heavy sh*t going on at the moment - damned
> inland revenue!)
>
>    I use a debit card only and will never have a credit card.

In thinking about what Darren wrote not long after what you wrote here,
might be worth another thought on that.  Just does require some
management and discipline = two things I'm not overly good at.

>> The one that *really* bothers me, though, is when they pre-fill the
>> dollar amounts in.
>
>  Yes, it is tempting, but with the way the world is working now, you'd
>  be
> foolish to use any credit unless you can pay it in time. I pity young
> home buyers. It just isn't going to happen the way it did a few years
> ago for them.

True enough; when my first credit card company pushed my limit over $10K,
I got much more cautious with the usage because I don't want to owe that
kind of money on an unsecured loan of any kind.  I'd much rather have
things paid off (that's a really good feeling to have).

Jim