POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Diffuse, glass texture, different settings in poseray : Re: Diffuse, glass texture, different settings in poseray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diffuse, glass texture, different settings in poseray
From: Alain
Date: 7 Aug 2008 12:08:45
Message: <489b1e0d$1@news.povray.org>
karmacowboy nous illumina en ce 2008-08-04 08:44 -->
> Hi
>
> I have worked on rendering .obj files in pov-ray with poseray.
>
> 1. There is a setting called "default finish diffuse for maps" at a value of 0.6
> ? What does that exactly do? and is lower better or higher better?

It control how much if the incoming light effectively illuminate the texture.
Higher values make the texture brighter and can cause oversaturation in some cases.
Lower values will make it darker.
None is "better", it all depends on what effect you want.
POV-Ray's default diffuse, if not specified otherwise, is 0.8.

> 2. Where can I get a glass texture to my creations?
>    Is is just like a normal texture to use on your .mesh file?

Just add a transparent texture and an interior statement where you set the ior,
mass coloration(fade_color, fade_distance and fade_power), optionaly the
dispersion amount and sampling. You can also add some media. If you use media,
you need to add "hollow" to your object to allow it to contain the media.
Typical ior for glass is 1.5. It can range from 1.4 to almost 2 for glass.
Water's ior is about 1.33, and depend on temperature and disolved substances.
Diamond's ior is 2.5, the highest for common natural substances.

> 3. What are the differences between indoor high quality and outdoor high quality
> is that more light on the objects ...when choosing outdoor?

Essentialy, the recursion level. Exterior scenes usualy only need
recursion_level 1 or maybe 2, interior scenes often need at least 2, end often more.
In outdoor scenes, you mostly trace to the sky of far away objects.
In interior scenes, you almost always trace to the walls and other objects.

outdoor high quality use recursion_level 1 and count 500.
indoor high quality use recursion_level 3 and count 400.

> 4. Is there any way of choosing another angle of the render in pov-ray or in
> poseray for that sake?

You can change the camera location, you can also use rotate and translate.
You can change the angle, add "angle Angle_of_View" or the direction vector:
larger will reduce the angle of view, smaler will whiden it.

--
Alain
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will