POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tar : Re: Tar Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tar
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Aug 2008 11:38:45
Message: <489b1705$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Why would it be obsolete?

Because it doesn't support all the new ACLs and other permission stuff.

> What would you suggest as an alternative?

star. :-)

Incidentally, the reason Zip is so widespread while lha, rar, etc are
not, is the source for zip was given away with the license that you
could create derivative works ONLY on the condition that it would not
create files other versions could not read. Hence, zip became an
exchange format, while the rest were striving to add another 2% or 3%
compression ratios.

> It's still widely used in the unix world.

Which just goes to show that nobody really uses all the new ACLs and
other permission stuff.

>   I really can't understand why precisely cygwin is used to port unix
> programs to Windows. Cygwin binaries rely on a bunch of dlls nobody has.

Because cigwin also supplies a shell and sym links and stuff like that,
and as long as that's what you want under Windows, you might as well
compile stuff using it. I.e., people use cygwin not because they want to
port unix programs to windows, but because they want unix on their
windows and incidentally they're porting this program. And hey, "it
works for me."

FWIW, the key term to search on seems to be "win32". A native port of
GNU stuff always seems to have the phrase "win32" somewhere in the name.
SourceForge tends to be a good place to pick up stuff like diff and tar
and so on.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Ever notice how people in a zombie movie never already know how to