POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Aug 2008 11:12:50
Message: <489b10f2$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
> that is. Some of these young guys can produce professional maps in like - a
> couple of months or less!)

There's one thing I wondered about game creation.  (Hey, Warp! :-)

How does the planning and design go?  I mean, take a game like Thief or
Halo or Half Life or something, where there's all kinds of complex 3D
stuff going on.  It's not like you can whiteboard such a thing very easily.

I'm thinking maybe a group of people get together, think about the
story, describe stuff that should be in the level,maybe draw a map or
two, and then hand it to one person to put the whole level together,
laying it out and all?  Then they go to the talent to produce the sounds
and voices and all that?

Basically, how do you get from "next in the story, we have the secret
lab level" to "here's the 3D mesh for the level"?

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Ever notice how people in a zombie movie never already know how to