POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tar : Re: Tar Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tar
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Aug 2008 11:11:19
Message: <489b1097$1@news.povray.org>
>>>   Why would it be obsolete?
>
>> Because it was invented several decades before I was even born?
>
>   Computers were invented several decades before you were born. Are they
> obsolete?

Nobody uses computers that were designed 40 years ago. They use
computers that were designed maybe 3 years ago. Tar has been unchanged
for a hell of a long time. That makes it either antiquated or
increadibly well-designed, depending on how you look at it.

>>> What would you suggest as an alternative?
>
>> Actually, if you stop and think about this, there aren't any really good
>> alternatives that are actually widely supported.
>
>   If I use an alternative, 7zip is good enough for me. Usually compresses
> better than tar+bzip2 too.

Likewise. However, 7zip is not (yet) nearly so widely available as
PK-Zip or any of the Unix flavours of compressed Tar files.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/