POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Beta 28 now available : Re: Beta 28 now available Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 28 now available
From: Chris Cason
Date: 7 Aug 2008 07:51:31
Message: <489ae1c3@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> Apparently the question of where to install + store writeable files in Vista
> does not have an easy answer.
> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2007-February/094217.html
> Also it looks like InstallShield doesn't have a variable for
> CSIDL_COMMON_DOCUMENTS so workarounds are needed.
> http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=159616 (see last
> message)
> http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=181423

Thanks for that; it's an interesting read. Glad to know I'm not the only
one scratching their head.

I did think of installing the scene files etc into 'My Documents' (and its
equivalent on Vista*). But - perhaps I am too pedantic - I have always
disliked 'My Documents' and don't even tend to use it on my own machine. I
simply find the name Microsoft gave it as quite condescending. I realise
this is not a good technical reason to avoid using it in an installer and I
might very well end up doing this; I guess it's just habit that I avoid it:)

If I do move the files I will probably move them all from AppData. While
there are some files in AppData that don't need to be in My Documents (e.g.
the Insert Menu, which already has a means of being opened from the program
directly), I really don't want to have three separate locations for POV
files (e.g. in the case of an all-users install).

-- Chris

* At least Microsoft got rid of the 'My ...' prefix in Vista.