POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I growing a tinfoil hat? : Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 6 Aug 2008 20:58:47
Message: <489a48c7@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> Is it just me being paranoid?  In order to avoid service charges on my
> credit card, it has been my practice to maintain a constant positive
> balance on the card.  Enough that I wouldn't, though my own
> forgetfulness, incur a service charge because some amount I charged hit
> just at the due date and I forget to put money in.  So now I see a debit
> on my account marked REFUND AS R.
>
> I phone the bank.  I'm informed that it means REFUND AS REQUESTED.  Who
> requested?  Not me for sure.  The bank's system requested it, and, I am
> told, sent me the check.  And now I owe $9.50 on the account.  I am told
> that the back is required to refund a long-standing credit on the account.
>
> 'You mean I can't keep a positive balance on my credit card so as to
> avoid a service charge?'
>
> 'Let me ask my supervisor'
>
> :elevator music:
>
> 'Mr Charter my supervisor says the system is set up to refund any long
> standing credit.  She advises that if you want to keep a credit on the
> account that it be no more than about $50.'
>
> Unbelievable.  So I am forced so play a sort of Russian roulette trying
> to keep the balance equal to my charges and I am allowed a $50 buffer to
> work with.  I dunno.  I feel conspired against.

Check to see if your card agreement allows them to refund positive
balances without your prior consent.  If not, write a politely-worded
letter informing them that the account balance was low because they made
a transaction that you had not authorized, and that you will not accept
penalties that are consequent of their unauthorized account activity.
Finish by stating that failure to accommodate your request will result
in immediate account closure and that you will seek a court judgment
relieving you of the contested charge.

Since you have been maintaining a positive balance, they have probably
not been making any money off of you, so they will not be sorry to see
you go.

Regards,
John