POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Low Memory Footprint : Re: Low Memory Footprint Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Low Memory Footprint
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 6 Aug 2008 19:13:40
Message: <489a3024@news.povray.org>
ChamanSingh wrote:

> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> ChamanSingh wrote:
>> > I have very large triangulated surface mesh and it seems that PovRay
>> > allocate large memory during calculation. Isn't ray tracing is an
>> > embarassingly parallel procedure ? Therefore, I was wondering if it
>> > is possible to have low memory footprint version of PovRay where
>> > performance is not the most important criteria.
>>
>> If you don't have too much RAM, but performance isn't important, just let
>> it swap to disk like crazy :)
>
> I think, it is neither professionally nor technically sound answer.

Any solution built into POV-Ray would behave a bit similar to the operating
system's virtual memory anyway. Like Warp said: "One possible
approach is to use the octree POV-Ray already uses for meshes so that
only those nodes which are requested are loaded, and least used nodes
freed." Except for the octree (which surely is an advantage), that sounds
like the "swap to disk the least recently used piece of memory" operation
the OS does whenever it feels low on physical RAM.