POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I growing a tinfoil hat? : Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Aug 2008 17:30:47
Message: <489a1807@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 13:22:59 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> but they *also* wouldn't extend the old card's credit or set my "member
>> since" date to the earlier of the two dates.
>
> It took me three phone calls to get the card to have the member-since
> date of before MBNA got aquired, yes. :-)

I decided it was easier not to bother.  It's not like I've got zero
credit available, so the difference in having the limits split between
two cards and on one card just means that I don't use that card as much,
since the point of the one with the earlier date is to just sit in the
safe. :-)

>> The thing that bugs me about those cheques the most, of course, is they
>> sit in my mailbox.  Nothing like having blank cheques sitting someplace
>> where someone can come by and steal them - great way to "prevent"
>> fraud, innit?
>
> That's why I call up and complain about it, and threaten to cancel if
> they send me more.

Yeah, once I get my balances down a bit, I can make that kind of threat.
We did actually manage to get 0 balances on nearly everything (except the
home equity line of credit, but that's a different story anyways), but
then had some major car work that needed done.  That's always the way I
*intend* to use the credit cards - just for emergency backup.  It rarely
works out that way.

> I also don't use debit cards, for similar reasons.

Well, with the debit card, you've got a PIN associated with it, so I
don't quite understand the issue there.  Of late, I've preferred to use
the debit card over a credit card just because I know I'm not going to
have to reconcile accounts later.

Jim