POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Low Memory Footprint : Re: Low Memory Footprint Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Low Memory Footprint
From: Warp
Date: 6 Aug 2008 15:39:24
Message: <4899fdeb@news.povray.org>
ChamanSingh <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I just wanted to get an unbiased opinion about this topic, and looking at the
> response, I think, we may have to re-implement PovRay type system with very low
> memory requirements.

  You won't be able to reduce the memory footprint of a mesh by any
rational means while keeping the entire mesh in memory.

  The only option would be to load only part of the mesh at a time
(ie. only the parts which are needed). Some high-end renderers support
this, but it's a quite complicated thing to implement. One possible
approach is to use the octree POV-Ray already uses for meshes so that
only those nodes which are requested are loaded, and least used nodes
freed. It's not trivial, though.

--
                                                          - Warp