POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D Modelling: Anyone Interested? : Re: 3D Modelling: Anyone Interested? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Modelling: Anyone Interested?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 Aug 2008 04:26:04
Message: <4899601c$1@news.povray.org>
"Reactor" <rea### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht

> On a lark I actually played with one of the simpler ones, and making some
> parts
> of the shape was actually fairly easy in wings.  However, I am not
> familiar
> with such ships, and found that working from a side view only is very
> difficult.  Do you have any pictures from other angles?

Exactly! From experience with this kind of ship building, I can tell that
you absolutely need the so-called Timber Plan, which essentially shows
several cross-sections along the hull. Aditionally, info about keel length,
deck heights and curvatures, etc may help to visualize better the whole
structure and may even be essential for some parts. With that information
you can either work in (e.g.) Wings, or use the dedicated hull-building
program FreeShip as a start, and finish in Wings. Overall, building an
accurate ship takes weeks if not more, but the result can be very
satisfying.

Thomas