POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: St
Date: 5 Aug 2008 14:48:56
Message: <4898a098$1@news.povray.org>
news:48980a4a$1@news.povray.org...
>>> I have absolutely no idea how to do that.
>>
>>     Getting Crysis = free editor.
>
> Getting the Source SDK = free download. I've even downloaded it.

 Yes, I've got it too, but don't use it. You only need the SDK if you want
to produce a 'mod' - i.e., provide a new weapon, or game strategy, etc. But,
you still need the disc to see and play your level, right?

   You've got FarCry, so try it some time with their editor. ;)

   Get some of those FatBoys and Trigens out and have a war with loads of
grunts! :)

And
> several similar things like it for other games. (Most notably, there was a
> thing called Quake Object Oriented Level Editor or "QOOLE".)

    Never heard of that, although I knew there was an editor.

> What can I say? I just can't figure out how to produce anything
> worthwhile. :-(

     Ah, well, I thought exactly the same. Then I played, and played and
played with the editor and just came up with 'anything' that works. Gave it
a name, and that was my eventual year long project.

> Me? Stuff the war. I'd be around the back sniping
>> them if possible. I know for a fact that I wouldn't adhere to war 'rules'
>> whatever I might do. I'd do my best though for my country of course.
>
> I know some people who have really been snipers. As in, they've killed
> actual people during an actual war.

    Lol at me ranting. ;) I don't know what I'd be like really, all I know
is that I wouldn't be on that front line to get shot at, (who the f*** would
in their right mind!) I admire snipers, they have a tough job to do. I have
no idea what it's like to be a real sniper, but boy, these games do come
close I think. If you're playing Crysis, when you're slightly out of range
from the enemy sniper and he gets close with his shot by a few inches, you
can hear the whizz of that bullet pass your ear, (and see it via the trail),
now imagine that in real life!

> They don't talk about it much...

   No, and I wouldn't either. It's a hard thing to do.

>>> I have absolutely no idea how in the game of God any of this is
>>> possible. But people have done it, so it *must* be possible...
>>
>>     Yes, it's true, people have done it, including myself. I'm about a
>> month away from publishing my first Crysis level, (the first in a series
>> of three, hopefully), and even though I've published many PoV-Ray images
>> to the world, it's scaring the crap out of me to upload my map.
>> Really.O-O
>
> Yeah, but... throwing together a new map is one thing, but building an
> entire new game... where do you get all the texture data from? Where do
> you get all the sounds from? How to you design weapons? How do you
> construct an AI engine? How do you do all of this with a few people in
> their spare time?? It boggles the mind...

      There are some clever kids out there, (and older guys), that's for
sure. AI engine? No idea. (Well, programming, obviously, but what, and how,
I wouldn't know). Textures? PS. Weapons (and everything else for a 'new'
game) - a modelling program.

       Simple as that. ;) But you don't really need to do any of that for
your first map in Crysis, it's all there and configurable in the editor.
Takes some playing with to get right, but it works. I've tested my map loads
now, but I still need to get the saves in the right positions and get the
ending right.

   Btw, this is me DE-STRESSING in Crysis. 180(ish) Korean trucks falling to
the ground:

      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zjaxyfTW3UY

    Notice how slow it is on my 6600GT. ;)  I'll do a daytime version
soon... ;)

       ~Steve~