POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The classics never get old : Re: The classics never get old Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The classics never get old
From: Invisible
Date: 5 Aug 2008 10:08:41
Message: <48985ee9@news.povray.org>
> speaking of old computers and such ..... I was cleaning out my bookcase and
> discovered some old software (games) .....
>
> quake2 plays on xp in compatibilty mode. haha spent the morning blowing the
> heads off the bad guys .....
>
> like i said .... the classics never get old.

Mmm... That's the first 3D game I ever played.

(Unless you count 3 minutes playing the shareware version of Doom, or an
afternoon "playing" Gloom. My God, that game sucked so badly...)

Of course, I was playing it on a machine with 16 MB RAM. I actually
thought it was *normal* for loading a level to take 20 minutes! And
needless to say, no 3D hardware. Bilinear interpolation? What's that
then? Still, if you turn the resolution down low enough, it's almost
playable.

I presume it goes without saying that playing it on a more meaty machine
was quite shocking for me. Loading the next level was *instant*! o_O
There were *coloured lights*. And bilinear filtering makes everything
look much better...

I wonder if it would actually play on my current PC? Somehow, I doubt it.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/