POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Elite : 5 kB Computer Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:08:51 EDT (-0400)
  5 kB Computer
From: TC
Date: 5 Aug 2008 07:15:47
Message: <48983663$1@news.povray.org>
I am getting old...

I remember my firt computer, a VIC20. It had 5 kB of RAM and ASCII-Graphics.

When you wanted to draw something fancy, let's say plot the sin-function,
you had to fill the screen  with characters from 0-255, map the characters
from ROM to RAM and then redefine the the respective 8x16 bit-blocks for
each character to achieve the respective dots.

The VIC cost me a small fortune...

And now, for the same price: Quadcore with 8 MB cache (1600x more), 4 GB RAM
(almost 1 million times more), 512 kB Graphics card (100.000x more RAM).

We used to store our data on a cassete-tape (for thoses who do not know: in
pre-CD times audio was stored on tape - one side 30 min.).

But hey, we were proud to have this. After all, the US lunar lander had a
highly developed computer on board that had only 1 kB of memory ;-) - this
was a lot better.