POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: St
Date: 4 Aug 2008 18:40:45
Message: <4897856d@news.povray.org>
news:48977221$1@news.povray.org...
>>> Today, anybody with sufficient technical bent can easily sit down with a
>>> computer and cut CDs of their music, or burn DVDs of their graphics and
>>> animations. It's not even expensive any more.
>>>
>>> We are truly living in the future, my friends...
>>
>>     Yep, and even possible serious gamemakers can do it for free*. I've
>> got to say that CryTek's CryEngine2/(Sandbox2) is fantastic!
>
> I have absolutely no idea how to do that.

    Getting Crysis = free editor. Play around in the editor and listen to
what the 15 year olds (ha, and older!) ;) have to teach on the forums. OR,
you have FarCry installed, yes? Well, CryEngine1 is available with that
game. Look on your disc for SandBox1 and have a play! Just mess around with
it for fun! Here's my first vid (Crysis) on YT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjaxyfTW3UY

     This shows how slow my comp is, but man, it was fun! About 180 Korean
trucks falling from the sky... blissfull destressing. :)

> I see a bunch of guys used the Source engine to build a game called
> Dystopia. It's set in a dystopian future and features gameplay that
> alternates between the real world and a Tron-like "cyberspace". It's a
> slightly naff game, but far better than anything I could have built!
>
> More recently another group of people used Source to build a very
> different game called Insurgency. This is your hyper-realistic US Marines
> vs Iraqi insurgents battlefield game. And when I say hyper-realistic,
> there is no crosshair on the screen. You walk at about 1.5 MPH. It's
> almost impossible to know what's going on. And as soon as you get near a
> combat zone, you instantly drop dead due to a single sniper bullet. (In
> other words, it is absolutely no fun at all, just like a real war.)

     Oh, trust me, it is just like a real war (in a game experience at
least). I said to my son only last night, "What would you do if you were
ordered to go to the front line to save your country?" He said, "I'd fight".
I then said that he'll be killed fairly soon. No comment from him, and a
despondant face to match. Me? Stuff the war. I'd be around the back sniping
them if possible. I know for a fact that I wouldn't adhere to war 'rules'
whatever I might do. I'd do my best though for my country of course.

> Yet another group of people are working on a complete conversion of the
> original Halflife game. (Although the initial artwork - which impressive -
> deviates too far from the original for my liking.)
>
> I have absolutely no idea how in the game of God any of this is possible.
> But people have done it, so it *must* be possible...

    Yes, it's true, people have done it, including myself. I'm about a month
away from publishing my first Crysis level, (the first in a series of three,
hopefully), and even though I've published many PoV-Ray images to the world,
it's scaring the crap out of me to upload my map. Really.O-O

   ~Steve~