POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Viruses : Re: Viruses Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Viruses
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Aug 2008 12:53:26
Message: <48973406$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:02:40 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Anybody else here have any interesting virus experiences?

I used to have a collection for testing purposes.  Ran into a weird one
with (I think it was) Yale/Alameda on a network.  Yale tried to write to
the boot sector, but with a networked drive, it couldn't do that
(redirector = no access to the drive's boot sector), but it had no error
handling for that situation.

If one was running WordPerfect 5.1 (this was the early 90's) on a machine
infected with this virus, the code would jump into a section of WP that
caused it to start writing huge temp files to the networked drive,
eventually bringing all users logged into that account down.

(We used a guest account for most of the students, was easier than
managing separate accounts for everyone and we had no need to do so -
every student saved their work to a diskette).

This situation was completely reproducible every time.

Jim