POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RK4 is harder than it seems : Re: RK4 is harder than it seems Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RK4 is harder than it seems
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Aug 2008 10:21:08
Message: <48971054$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   That's actually one of the limitation of lightmaps: You can create superb
> shadows for *static* scenery, but you can't use them to calculate shadows
> for moving objects.

Yep, it's true.

(Well, if you have an "almost" static scene, you could perhaps include
extra data for, say, when a door opens or something. I doubt it would be
very accurate.)

>   There are two techniques to calculate shadows: Shadow volumes, which are
> based on shadow polygons (used, for example, by Doom3 and games using the
> same engine) and shadow mapping (used, for example, in the Splinter Cell
> games).
>
>   Both have their advantages and disadvantages, which is why neither one
> is overwhelmingly popular (although shadow mapping might be a bit more
> popular because it's a bit easier to implement and has its own advantages).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_volume
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_mapping

Mmm, interesting.

I'm surprised shadow volumes didn't occur to me before. The intro to HL1
features what I guess you could call a "light volume": a door opens and
a semitransparent object representing the light flooding in is revealed.
(This illusion is then nicely shattered by driving a truck through it
without altering the geometry! But hey, it probably required no
alteration to the Quake engine...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/