POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Beta 28 now available : Re: Beta 28 now available Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 28 now available
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 4 Aug 2008 08:50:30
Message: <4896fb16$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gil### [at] agroparistechfr> wrote in message

> dans le message de news: 4896dc60@news.povray.org...
>> I wasn't aware of that (hadn't noticed when testing). The installer does
>> however place a link to the scene files in the start menu group and IIRC
>> on
>> the desktop.

I was overlooking the scene file shortcut at first because I don't show
icons in order to better see the background image wallpaper (a pov
rendering). My most-used programs are on Quick Launch, or last used list of
the Start Menu.
I know now the shortcut will provide access to those files outside of POV,
despite them not showing in Computer or user file lists.

>> It's also rather ironic if hidden is in fact the default; according to
>> the
>> InstallShield documentation, one of the requirements for Vista logo
>> cerfification is that files installed for non-admin users go under
>> AppData.
>
> Apparently the question of where to install + store writeable files in
> Vista does not have an easy answer.
> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2007-February/094217.html
> Also it looks like InstallShield doesn't have a variable for
> CSIDL_COMMON_DOCUMENTS so workarounds are needed.
> http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=159616 (see last
> message)
> http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=181423

Helping me by reading more... found a web page describing path changes from
older Windows to Vista:

http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

When I read what I could find about AppData\Roaming things began making less
sense. ;)

Just saw what Fredrik Eriksson said and the Users\Public location comes to
mind, but that's after the short reading I was doing before. I'm sure
something will work out, I have faith.
--
/*bob hughes*/