POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's what XKCD does : Re: It's what XKCD does Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's what XKCD does
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 3 Aug 2008 12:43:48
Message: <4895e044$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Sure. Because when you're not Andrew, it's really that easy. :-/
>>
>> Andrew, seriously:  It's hard for *everyone*.  But people do it anyway.
>
> Other people have social skills.

Not all of them. I can say, from recent experience, that I have very bad
luck at reading what people are actually saying and meaning. That alone
is not enough of an excuse. Smiling helps, as does being able to talk to
them. Light conversation normally, it's not often that physics will come
up and the best conversation continuing device is "I wrote an RK4 solver
last week." but sometimes that will work too. "Hi, how are you, have you
seen New Movie Of The Week? What did you think of it/Would you like to
see it?"

> (And friends - don't forget friends! Apparently in a survay 80% of
> people said they met their husband/wife through their friends.)

This is easier then finding a date. Smile, and be ready to listen to
anyone. After you chat with them a few times, pick a day you aren't
doing anything and invite them out to a pub to continue what ever the
last conversation was.

See, now you've made a friend. You can do the whole thing without a pub,
substituting other local hang out.