POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Beta 28 now available : Re: Beta 28 successful install Vista user Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 28 successful install Vista user
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 3 Aug 2008 04:34:49
Message: <48956da9$1@news.povray.org>
This is only a guess about why I succeeded in getting the beta 28 installer
to put POV onto my Vista Home notebook... UAC set to off. Simple as that
maybe. However, I don't know anything about multiple users in Windows having
seldom ever done it. And Vista is a complete unknown to me in that
department.

The installer actually greyed out the two choices for "only me" or "all", so
apparently without UAC it ignores that. Now this is the confusing part, I
believe I ran the installer from the new administrator account yet the file
was in my other user/downloads subfolder. The greyed out portion still had
the "me" option as the other user name and not the new user.

Maybe others of you know about this user account stuff and understand that,
I sure can't explain it or if it might be something peculiar to the beta 28
installer itself.

To further describe my particular experience with this, I found I needed to
get the povray.ini and quickres.ini files put back in place like I had been
using them. The readme.txt in the installation folders \Scenes\ and \ini\
certainly help but since Vista (Home anyhow) has the destination paths
hidden and a different location (AppData\Roaming) from XP or 2000, as told
of, I'm still wondering what will happen when people try to migrate from 3.6
to 3.7 and can't figure this out.

Also, trouble with writing to the \include\ subfolder, lacking permission.
What I'm doing now is making a C:\include\ folder to put INC files into and
then adding that to the povray.ini library paths, which in itself isn't
straightfoward yet since the tools.ini isn't available for editing from
within POV-Ray itself.

I don't want to be negative about the whole thing... ;^) I like the new look
and installer thus far. Congrats on the work.

--
/*bob hughes*/