POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RK4 is harder than it seems : Re: RK4 is harder than it seems Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RK4 is harder than it seems
From: Warp
Date: 1 Aug 2008 17:10:42
Message: <48937bd2@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> I also assumed that scenery is always static in games so that you can
> >> precompute light maps
> >
> >   Actually nowadays games tend to use less and less precomputed light maps
> > and more real-time lighting.

> How is it possible to do that?

> (I'm not denying that games do it - they obviously do - I'm curios as to
> how it's possible to do this given that the GPU only knows about
> polygons and texture mapping.)

  The GPU also knows about vertex normals and can interpolate them and
calculate the lighting of the surface according to the normal. In a similar
way as POV-Ray does.

  Nowadays you can even write a shader which calculates the lighting from
the normal vector and positions of light sources in special ways, if you
want.

--
                                                          - Warp