POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Being tactful : Re: Being tactful Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Being tactful
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Aug 2008 11:33:32
Message: <48932ccc$1@news.povray.org>
>> LOL! That great Unix tradition of eliding vowels at all costs...
>
> along with the great Windows tradition of (a) picking different command
> flags for commands ported from UNIX

I just love the way that you have to write a short Prolog program to
discover the behaviour of most Unix commands for each given combination
of switches.

(E.g., "-s" implies "-v" and "-c". "-k" disabled "-s". "-Q" reverses the
sense of "-s". If "-L" is present then "-s" now controls something
completely different. And if it's a Tuesday today then the "-R" switch
is no-op...)

> (b) trying to make everything
> fit in 8.3 a decade after they got rid of that restriction in all their
> file systems.

Yeah, WTF is *that* about??

And *why* are there still programs who's installers and splash screens
show up in dithered 256-colour or even 16-colour graphics when the
entire civilized world has had 24-bit colour for a decade now?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/