POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RK4 is harder than it seems : Re: RK4 is harder than it seems Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RK4 is harder than it seems
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Aug 2008 10:52:53
Message: <48932345@news.povray.org>
>> I also assumed that scenery is always static in games so that you can
>> precompute light maps
>
>   Actually nowadays games tend to use less and less precomputed light maps
> and more real-time lighting.

How is it possible to do that?

(I'm not denying that games do it - they obviously do - I'm curios as to
how it's possible to do this given that the GPU only knows about
polygons and texture mapping.)

>> occlusion data, and other stuff that makes it
>> possible to draw a landscape made up of a trillian polygons without
>> slowing everything to a crawl...
>
>   One feature which requires spatial partitioning is also the physics
> engine.

...which is more or less what I'm trying to use RK4 for! :-}

(I imagine a game physics engine uses something a tad more sophisticated
than just moddling a few points and allowing arbitrary interactions though.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/